6 Ways to Make Your Home Feel Bigger & Brighter
Whether you have just purchased a new home or condo, or you are getting ready to list your home at Lake of the Ozarks, there are tons of tips for making any room in your home seem more spacious. Even if you have a small living space, with the right furnishings and staging, you can still make it look big. The Fran Campbell Team is here to help you improve the space in your home. This week, we are sharing how you can make your home feel bigger and brighter.
1. Reduce FurnitureSometimes this is easier said than done, but if you can reduce the amount of furniture in a small room, you should. If the room is already small, having non-essential furniture will only make your room look cluttered. Instead of having multiple pieces of furniture such as a love seat and side chair, stick with just a sofa. This will still give you the same amount of seating but will reduce the clutter.
2. Don't Overdo the ArtIt is extremely easy to overdo the artwork you hang on the wall. Too much artwork on one wall can make your room feel small. Consider hanging a large statement piece instead. This will create a central focus in the room and distract from the fact the room is small. Have fun with the statement piece you choose! Find something that matches your style and run with it. For example, if you are going for farmhouse chic, find a large cow painting or farm scene. If your style is more modern, find an abstract piece with colors that match the rest of your home décor.
3. Hang Mirrors in Small RoomsIf you have a small room in your home, mirrors are a great way to make the room appear bigger. The light that reflects from the mirror can make the room feel larger. Hang your mirror directly across from a window for best results. This will maximize the amount of light coming in from the window. Another method is to hang a mirror across from the doorway. This will enhance the depth of the room and give the perception of a larger room.
4. Paint Your Walls Light ColorsPainting your walls with light colors open the space and allow light to bounce off the walls. Light walls will also make the room feel more open. This is why art galleries or museums use light colored paint. For a bonus, try to match the color of your curtains as close to the wall color as possible. This will simplify the space and your eyes will not be interrupted by color changes.
5. Mount Your TV On the WallIf you have a flat screen TV, consider mounting it to the wall and getting rid of your bulky entertainment center. Large entertainment centers instantly make your living room feel small. Anytime you can clear space on the floor, the room will automatically feel bigger.
6. Adjust Your CurtainsThere are a few methods to make any room of your home feel more spacious just by adjusting how you hang your curtains. If you are able to move your curtain rods, hang them as close to the ceiling as possible. This will force your eyes to look up which will trick your brain into thinking the room is bigger.
Another curtain rod trick is to extend your curtain rods past the window. If you hang your curtains directly in line with the window width, you typically cover the entire window. Extending your curtain rod will allow more light to come through and brighten up your space. Natural light is your best friend when you are trying to make any room in your house appear bigger.
Making your home feel and look bigger and brighter is all about the illusion of space. After you try these space saving hacks, give the Fran Campbell Team at RE/Max Lake of the Ozarks a call and we would be happy to assist you in listing and staging your Lake of the Ozarks property!
Contact the Fran Campbell Team to get your home SOLD!
Lake of the Ozarks BEST Realtor