- Determine a Realistic Price Range that fits into your budget - A very common mistake for any home buyer is purchasing more house than they can afford. Know your budget before looking for a home and be honest about the expenses that you have. By determining this in advance, you will be able to weed out the homes that you cannot afford and only view the homes that fit into your budget.
- Get Pre-Approved for your loan. A pre-approval letter will give you some negotiation power when it comes to the price of the home that you are considering. The pre-approval letter along with your offer is a more favorable offer in most cases. Keep in mind that a pre-approval is different from pre-qualification. Be sure to read Understand the Difference Between Pre-Qualified & Pre-Approved.
- Prioritize your Needs/Want List - We all have a list of things our dream home will include. In order to get the things that are most important to you, you should prioritize your list. For instance, the most important factor might be the number of bedrooms, square footage or the school system. These items might fall under your NEED list and have priority. On the other hand, you may WANT hardwood floors, a pool, or a finished basement but they are not things you MUST have. Making this list will help you focus on what is really important in your fist home and narrow down the field of possible homes. Ideally, your home will include all of your Needs and a few of your wants.
- Choose the Right Neighborhood - The majority of your time will be spent in this home/location and it will be a major factor in its resale value. Consider the crime statistics, insurance rates, property taxes and school quality. You may also want to consider the commute to work and the proximity to schools, churches or shopping! Drive through the neighborhood during the day and the night to get a full scope of the neighborhood. Consider the "upkeep" of your potential neighbors homes - this can either help you home sustain value or lose value depending upon the condition of the neighborhood.
- Choose the right Realtor - There are plenty to choose from, so what sets one apart from another? Your Lake of the Ozarks Realtor should understand your wants and needs, know the area, have referrals for you to consider and offer first class customer service.
Fran Campbell Team
Lake of the Ozarks BEST Realtor