As you prepare for the season, it is always a good time to review the Missouri boating laws and regulations. Although many of the laws are obvious, there may be a few laws that you are unaware of.
Here are a few of the Missouri Boating Laws from The Missouri State Water Patrol that will help ensure an enjoyable experience for you, your family and your fellow passengers.
- Operating a boat while intoxicated is a criminal offense subject to a fine and/or time in jail.
- The minimum age for operating any watercraft in the State of Missouri is 14 years.
- Children under the age of 7 years must WEAR a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) at all times unless confined in a fully enclosed area.
- All persons born after January 1, 1984 must possess a Missouri boating safety ID card, along with a photo ID to operate a boat or PWC. Visit the MSWP website for more information.
- Riding on the bow, gunwales, railing, top of seat, back and decking over the back of a motorboat is prohibited.
- It is illegal to operate a boat or PWC at speeds greater than "idle speed" with 100 feet of a dock or pier, an occupied anchored vessel or a buoyed restricted area.
- The speed limit at night is 30 mph. Night time speed limits begin 1/2 hour after sunset and continue through 1 hour before sunrise.
- Everyone on board a PWC while underway must wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal floatation device (PFD).
- It is illegal for PWC operators to:
- Weave the PWC through congested waterway traffic.
- Jump the wake of another motorboat when visibility is obstructed.
- Become airborne while crossing the wake of another motorboat and within 100 feet of the motorboat creating the wake.
- Operate at greater than "slow, no wake" speed within 50 feet of any other vessel, PWC, or person in the water
- Operate in a manner that requires swerving at the last possible moment to avoid collision.
For more information or questions about Missouri boating laws and safety, please contact Missouri State Water Patrol at 573.751.3333 or simple go to www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/.
The Fran Campbell Team welcomes everyone back for the season and encourages you to be safe and have a great summer!!
Contact Fran Campbell Team at RE/MAX Lake of the Ozarks for all your real estate needs.
Fran Campbell Team
Lake of the Ozarks BEST Realtor
Best Realtor Lake of the Ozarks