History of Veteran's Day (www.history.com)
On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, was declared between the Allied nations and
Facts about Veterans in the United States (Huffington Post November 7, 2012)
- 260,000 Veterans will be homeless this year
- As many as 35% of Iraq Veterans have or will experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. PTSD is an "anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which grave physical harm occurred or was threatened." People with PTSD have persistent frightening thoughts and memories, can feel emotionally numb and can have trouble sleeping or being startled easily.
- There are more than 5.5 million U.S. Veterans living with a disability.
- 184,251 troops are currently on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Pentagon.
- VFW Post 5178 in Gravois Mills will be serving a turkey dinner from 11am-2pm. The menu will include and all you can eat traditional Thanksgiving meal of turkey, dressing and all the fixings. All veterans are invited to dine for free - The general public cost is $3 for children 11 and under and $6 for adults.
- VFW Post 3600 in Climax Springs will have a special flag raising ceremony at 11am.
- American Legions Post 624 in Sunrise Beach will host a free breakfast for all veterans and their immediate family from 7:30-10:30am. There will also be a special service honoring veterans at 11am at the outside War Memorial (weather permitting)
- AMVETS Post 108 in Rocky Mount will be having a Veteran's Day Service at 2pm. Everyone is welcome to attend and food will be served after the services. Please bring your favorite dish.
- Dogwood Hills Golf Resort is hosting a Veterans Day Golf Special for active and retired military on Nov 11 and 12. For only $20 (plus tax) active or retired military personnel can enjoy 18 holes of golf including a golf cart. Call 573.348.3153 to book your tee time.
- School of the Osage will have its annual Veteran's Day program at 10:30am at the Osage High School Henderson Gymnasium. Remembering Those Who Serve, Past and Present" is the theme and all area veterans are welcome to attend. There will be performances by the OHS Band, OHS Concert Choir and Les Chanteurs and refreshments will follow.
- HyVee will honor all veterans and active military with a free breakfast buffet from 7-11am. There will also be a drawing for prizes.
Contact Fran Campbell Team at RE/MAX Lake of the Ozarks for all your real estate needs.
Fran Campbell Team
Lake of the Ozarks BEST Realtor
Best Realtor Lake of the Ozarks